April 12, 2007

He Who Ignores History Is Doomed to Repeat It

For Christmas, I received a book from my son Chris. It was David McCullough’s John Adams. I had previously read 1776, and was excited to have this book by an author I really respected. The problem is, I have just been so busy since the first of the year that when I get home at night I often only feel like reading the minimum required amount for the day. Last night was different.

As I opened this great biography, I was immediately captivated by McCullough’s familiar writing style and thorough research. He reminds me of that other great researcher whom I love to read, James A. Michener.

I had only got to page 39 when I was stopped in my literary tracks by a letter Adams had written to a friend when he (Adams) was about 20. Not only was it “…an amazing letter for anyone so young to have written…”(McCullough), it seemed so appropriate for today’s world. Although it was written 252 years ago, during the French and Indian War, I would like to repeat some of it here and ask for your indulgence as the passage to be quoted may be considered lengthy by some.

The young Adams wrote:

If we look into history, we shall find some nations rising from contemptible beginnings and spreading their influence, until the whole globe is subjected to their ways…Immortal Rome was at first but an insignificant village, inhabited only by a few abandoned ruffians, but by degrees it rose to a stupendous height, and excelled in arts and arms all the nations that preceded it. But the demolition of Carthage (what one should think should have established it in supreme dominion) {Parentheses are Adams'} by removing all danger, suffered it to sink into debauchery, and make it at length easy prey to Barbarians…

Adams then writes of how the colonies will someday “remove the turbulent Gallics” and then overcome England as the dominant power in the world. Then he writes to his friend:

The only way to keep us from setting up for ourselves is to disunite us. Divide et impera. Keep us in distinct colonies, and then, some great men in each colony, desiring the monarchy of the whole, they will destroy each others’ influence...

Isn’t it interesting to see how our country has changed since Reagan overthrew communism? Was that our “demolition of Carthage,” that should have established the United States “in supreme dominion,” but instead “by removing all danger” and thus causing us to feel safe from all enemies, led us to “sink into debauchery” making us easy prey for fanatic Islamic extremists?

Think about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share your appreciation for McCullough’s work and have the two books you mentioned as well as Truman in my study. I don’t know if the fall of the USSR was our “demolition of Carthage”; I remember the 60’s & 70’s and the damage we were then doing to ourselves. However, I do believe that Hannibal Barca (and the republic) were defeated not by Rome so much as by the repulsive self–serving politicians in Carthage. If the politicians had supported the “troops in the field” as Hannibal repeatedly requested, Scipio would never had the chance to attack the homeland. But that’s just my opinion :)

Seth said...

And a good opinion it is!