February 26, 2007

From This Angle She's an Angel!

I have been sitting at my desk for the better part of the day trying to figure out how I could pay proper verbal homage to my dearest friend and companion. It is difficult to put into words one’s feelings when several others might read it. Still, I would be doing my darling wife a gross disservice if I did not tell the world how I feel on this wonderful thirtieth anniversary of our wedding.

I often say that folks spend more time planning the wedding than they do the marriage. That was certainly true in my case. I anticipated some rockiness and lots of happiness, but I never thought about how it would be becoming heart and soul with another individual. Well, it has been fantastic!

Thirty years ago today the temperature was in the 80s. Today it is 54° and that is the high for the day. So much for global warming. It was terribly hot in that little Methodist church. My suit added to my discomfort. My feet hurt and I felt uncomfortable with everyone looking at me with silly grins on their faces. Then I saw her enter the back of the chapel. Oh my, she was beautiful. Her white gown and her fabulous red hair. I felt like I had just won the lottery!

During the years since, that angel has given me three wonderful sons who, because of her tutelage, are now fine, self-reliant men. It has been some three decades!

We haven’t always agreed. Who could agree with me all the time? But we’ve climbed Stone Mountain together more times than I can remember...we’ve ridden bikes for miles on the New River Trail in Virginia...infinite trips to Virginia Beach and elsewhere...we’ve endured financial hardship...spiritual blessings...joy...and happiness.

There is literally no way I could have ever found a better wife. There is no one else I would want to go with into the House of the Lord. And there is no one else I would want to spend eternity with. Don’t tell me miracles have ceased!

Happy anniversary, babe. I love you.